Are you aged between 12 and 25 years, and volunteer?
The Saltire Awards celebrate, recognise and reward the commitment, contribution and achievements of young volunteers in Scotland. This year the Saltire Awards, as a response to feedback from young people, went through a huge makeover, giving it the website a brand new look and implementing changes to make it easier for young people to get involved..
The Saltire Awards follow the natural progression of the young person’s volunteering and at certain stages can request their certificate, for example at 10, 25, 50, 100, 200, and 500 hours of volunteering as well as certificates for team volunteering and challenges.
How to get involved
- Log on to Saltire Awards and set up your own account: you will need a valid email address.
- Follow the instructions to sign up now – make sure you use a secure password!
- Once you are logged in, you’ll be on the homepage. There is a list on the left-hand side. Click on My Volunteering, then Add An Organisation.
- You will then enter the details of your volunteer placement. Some of the fields are mandatory to enter, and others are optional. It is useful to enter as much of the information as possible for your own personal records. The small info icon next to the fields will give you more information on what each field needs.
- Once this is done, you will be on the Hours page. This is where you note how many hours you have volunteered. Enter an amount and click Add Hours.
- The Hours page will now tell you how many hours you have logged, and which Saltire Award certificate you are eligible for! Well done.
- Repeat this process from step 3 onwards to add more organisations you have volunteered with.
- Once you are finished adding your volunteer hours, click on the My Awards tab on the left-hand list. It will show you the certificate you are eligible for. Click on Claim This Certificate – this should automatically generate an email to go out to your named Volunteer Supervisor contact, so they can verify your hours. Your certificate will then be available here as an electronic copy!
- The tabs list on the left-hand side also has other features for you to utilise. Clicking on Find Opportunities will allow you to browse volunteer placements in your area. This is especially helpful if you have never volunteered before and are not sure where to start!
- Clicking on My Account will allow you to edit details such as your postcode, email address, or change your password.
- If you encounter any problems, the Contact Us button at the top right-hand corner of the Saltire website will assist you in who to contact to get your issue sorted out
Volunteering itself is a fantastic way for young people to make new friends, learn new skills, boost their confidence, and gain a fulfilling sense of purpose. The certificates a young person can earn as part of the Saltire Awards look great when applying for jobs, university/college, and on CVs.
Now is a better time than ever to sign up, start logging volunteer hours, and earn certificates!
Visit the NEW Saltire Awards site now to learn more and sign up today.
Meet Our Team – Eve, Saltire Awards Administrator
I started volunteering when I was in high school, and then later with an outdoors events company who put on as sporting competitions, children’s activities, and other family-oriented functions. I was excited to take up this role as I could use my previous work experience while learning lots of new skills as an events marshal.
The first event I volunteered at was busy and high-energy, I met so many new people. The event was a success and gave me a real sense of accomplishment and community. I volunteered at so many events and have fantastic memories of each one.
This love for volunteering helped me in becoming the Saltire Awards Administrator for CVS Falkirk and Volunteer Falkirk. Finding volunteering to be genuinely enjoyable and something I love means I have a unique perspective to help other young people in my community find joy in volunteering.
The Saltire Awards are a perfect way to celebrate those young people who choose to volunteer, whether it be within something they are already passionate about, or to try out something entirely new.
I want to be able to assist every young person who wishes to volunteer and get their Saltire Award certificates, while understanding that they are making a real difference both in the community and their own lives.
So if you need some help in navigating the new website, or have questions about youth volunteering and/or the awards, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me either by phone: 0300 311 9700, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org